Russian forces were struck by Ukrainian HIMARS (High Mobility Artillery Rocket System) after a base’s location was revealed by a Russian war correspondent, according to reports.
According to Ukrainian media outlet Hromadske, Russian Telegram channels have shared photos of the aftermath of an attack at a base in Popasna in the Luhansk region.
The photos show injured or dead soldiers being taken out from under the rubble as well as the destruction of the building. The official number of injured and deceased has not been confirmed, however.
The base was attacked on Sunday and was occupied by the Wagner Group, a Russian paramilitary force fighting in Ukraine.
Yuriy Kotenok, a Russian propagandist, wrote on Telegram that Ukraine had used HIMARS to target the Wagner Group, according to a report by Daily Kos. However, Ukrainian forces have not confirmed whether this was the case.
Ukraine became aware of the base’s location after Russian war correspondent Serhiy Sreda came to the base on August 8, according to the Hromadske report.
Sreda published a photo showing that the paramilitary force had set up a base in a residential building, referring to it as the group’s “headquarters.” One of the photos showed a sign with the address of the nearest bomb shelter, Myronivska Street, 12.
Russian chef and Vladimir Putin confidante Yevgeny Prigozhin is also visible in one of the photos with Sreda, however it has not been confirmed whether he was at the base during the time of the attack
The Russian Telegram channel Radio Liberty also confirmed the strike and also noted that Sreda has since deleted his post, but it still remains available on other Telegram channels.
They also said that the Wagner PMC Telegram channels have confirmed they suffered an attack.
Newsweek has contacted the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense for comment.
This successful strike comes after Ukraine announced it had inflicted significant losses to Russian forces on Saturday.
A post by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Facebook page said that Ukraine’s forces were able to destroy almost 20 tanks and armored vehicles in an attack.
The post highlighted Ukrainian estimates of the total losses Russia has faced since the conflict began on February 24, while also highlighting the latest additions.
According to the post, a total of 43,550, of Russia’s military personnel have been killed with an additional 150 killed on Saturday. A total of 1,864 tanks have been destroyed with an additional 8 tanks destroyed on Saturday.
The post also said that 4,126 armored combat vehicles have been destroyed in total, as well as 11 destroyed on Saturday.
Last week, U.S. Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl said that Russia had suffered a “tremendous” number of casualties since the war began.
During a press conference on August 8, he said: “Russians are taking a tremendous number of casualties on the other side of the equation.
“Regarding precise figures there is a lot of fog in war but I think it is safe to suggest that Russians have suffered 70 or 80,000 casualties in less than six months.
“That is a combination of killed in action and wounded. That number might me a little lower or higher but I think it is in that ball park.”